DATCOM Volume 3 Section 5.5
USAF Stability and Control DATCOM Volume 3 Section 5.5: Low-aspect-ratio wings and wing-body combinations in sideslip
This document has not been validated by ESDU. It is provided to our users as a useful reference source.
The USAF Stability and Control DATCOM was compiled between 1960 and 1978 by the McDonnell Douglas Corporation in conjunction with the engineers at the Flight Dynamics Laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. It is a collection, correlation, and recording up to 1978 of knowledge, opinion, and judgment in the area of aerodynamic stability and control prediction methods. DATCOM provides methods for estimating basic stability and control derivatives for most flight conditions and configurations and in many cases can be used in conjunction with test data. It bridges the gap between theory and practice by including a combination of pertinent discussion and proven practical methods.
A spectrum of methods is presented, ranging from very simple and easily applied techniques to quite accurate and thorough procedures. Comparatively simple methods are presented in complete form, while the more complex methods are often handled by reference to separate treatments. Tables which compare calculated results with test data provide indications of method accuracy. Extensive references to related material are also included.
DATCOM methods have not been validated by ESDU but contribute to a more comprehensive collection of Aerodynamics design information and can be used along side ESDU methods for comparison and analysis to solve design problems. They also provide a possible resource in areas not currently covered by ESDU.
Volume 3 contains the following sections:
Section 5: Characteristics in Sideslip
- Section 5.1: Wings in sideslip
- Section 5.2: Wing-body combinations in sideslip
- Section 5.3: Tail-body combinations in sideslip
- Section 5.4: Flow fields in sideslip
- Section 5.5: Low-aspect-ratio wings and wing-body combinations in sideslip (this document)
- Section 5.6: Wing-body-tail combinations in sideslip
Section 6: Characteristics of High-Lift and Control Devices
- Section 6.1: Symmetrically deflected flaps and control devices on wing-body and tail-body combinations
- Section 6.2: Asymmetrically deflected controls on wing-body and tail-body combinations
- Section 6.3: Special control methods
R.D Finck; D.E. Hoak
|DATCOM Volume 3 Section 5.5|